UCR Student Veteran: Anthony Santos

“The process of using your educational benefits is different at UCR compared to community college. The VRC helped me with that process, allowing for a smooth transition. The people working here are amazing and make you feel welcome and excited for a new chapter of your life.”

Anthony Santos
U.S. Army Veteran
Ethnic Studies


You Can Afford a UC Degree

Thanks to available benefits, scholarships, and grants, most student veterans pay little or nothing out of pocket to attend UC Riverside. One reason is because our Financial Aid office is dedicated to working with you, the VA, and UCR to help make sure you receive all the benefits for which you’re eligible.

Beyond military benefits, our specialists also provide information on available scholarships and loans and can even help you apply.

Financial Aid can even help you strengthen your financial future by providing tools and resources designed to help you make informed choices for managing money, understanding credit, loans, saving, and investing.

VA Application Deadlines: 
  • To access benefits for summer 2023, submit all forms by June 1, 2023.
  • To access benefits for 2023–24 academic year, submit all forms by June 1, 2023.

VA Benefits

Start the Financial Aid Process — It’s Easy!

Our Financial Aid & VA School Certifying Officials have military-specific knowledge and experience to clearly explain and help you apply for GI Bill Benefits plus a variety of grants and scholarships. Complete the financial aid application and follow the VA benefits certification steps to have a funding package customized to your eligibility.

No. 2

In the country for financial aid (Business Insider)


Student-to-Faculty Ratio


Veteran and Military-Connected students currently attend UCR


Transfer Dates & Deadlines

View a full list of fall and winter transfer admission dates and deadlines.

July 1–31

Submit your UC application for winter admissions. (Classes begin January of the following year.)

Oct. 1–Nov. 30

Submit your UC application for fall admissions. Classes begin in September of the following year.

Jan. 1

Access the California Dream Act Application (CADAA). UCR school code: 001316

March 2

Deadline to submit your for FAFSA or DREAM application (can be submitted after March 2) and verify that a certified GPA was submitted to the California Student Aid Commission by your community college.


Contact Your UCR Financial Aid Counselor

Financial Aid
VA School Certifying Official
(951) 827-6162


Financial Aid FAQ 


  • How do I obtain military tuition assistance?

    The Department of Defense (DoD) Tuition Assistance (TA) program provides financial assistance to Service members for voluntary off-duty education programs in support of professional and personal self-development goals. TA is available for courses that are offered in the classroom or by distance learning and are part of an approved academic degree or certificate program. Tuition Assistance is a source of financial aid for active military duty. In general, eligible active duty Service members can receive TA at a rate of $250 per semester hour cap with an annual ceiling of $4,500. The Services are authorized to establish Service specific eligibility criteria to manage TA funds.

    Tuition Assistance funds are a unique, distinct source of financial aid available to eligible Service members, and UCR processes TA as a first payer. Service members identified as eligible DoD TA recipients will have their TA benefits applied to their educational institution’s account prior to the application of their Pell Grant funds to their account.

    There is a 3-step process to apply for TA.

    Step 1: Reach out to your Education Services Officer, or military counselor, prior to enrollment to learn about the service specific TA policies and procedures at the appropriate voluntary education websites below:

    Step 2: Contact the Financial Aid Office programs to learn how TA may affect your financial aid package. Reach out to us at VASCO@ucr.edu to discuss your eligibility.

    Step 3: Email a copy of the Tuition Assistance Authorization Letter to University of California, Riverside Student Business Services at sbsofc@ucr.edu for processing. After receiving the authorization, Student Business Services will credit your student account with the funds.

    Tuition Assistance (TA) Top Up: Using Top-Up benefits may be an option if you plan to use tuition assistance (TA) to complete a degree program while on active duty, and don't plan to continue your education after service. Top-up can also be helpful for just taking a few courses with TA while on active duty; then you can save most of your GI Bill benefits for after service to complete your education program. Learn more about TA Top Up.

    Tip: Request your TA Authorization Form as early as possible before the quarter begins, so the payment can be posted on time to your student account before the term Fee Payment Deadline.

  • How do I apply for the GI Bill and related benefits?

    Apply for VA educational benefits online if you haven't already done so. You will need the following to complete the application:

    • Social Security number
    • Bank account direct deposit information
    • Education and military history
    • Basic information about the school or training facility you want to attend or are attending now

    Contact Financial Aid when you are enrolled in classes to certify your enrollment to VA. VA certifying officials process your paperwork proving to the VA that you are enrolled in classes that meet requirements for your degree objective.

  • How do I apply for VA Vocational Rehab & Employment (Chapter 31) benefits?

    If you already have a VA disability rating:

    • Sign in to your eBenefits account.
    • Select Apply.
    • Click Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Benefits.
    • Select the Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment benefit you’re applying for.
    • If you’re eligible, the VA invite you to an orientation session at your nearest VA regional benefit office.

    If you haven’t yet received a service-connected disability rating:

    • Fill out VA Vocational Rehabilitation – Getting Ahead After You Get Out (VA Form 28-0588). Download VA Form 28-0588
    • After you apply, the VA will schedule a meeting for you with a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC) to find out if you have an employment handicap and if you’re eligible for VR&E benefits and services.
  • Once I’m a student here, am I eligible for a deferred payment plan fee exemption?

    As a student veteran or servicemember, you may be eligible for exemption from the Deferred Payment Plan (DPP) $25 processing fee and the first late fee ($50) each quarter. Through DPP, you can pay your tuition and fees in three installments each quarter with no interest. Waiver of the application fee and first late fee will happen automatically if you were certified for U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs educational benefits through Financial Aid. For questions, please contact vasco@ucr.edu.

  • Who can apply for the California College Fee Waiver?

    Under the California Education Code, dependents of veterans whose death or disability was service-connected may be eligible for exemption from many university fees.

    Contact your local county veterans service office to obtain applications, information, and to apply for benefits under this program. The Riverside County veterans’ services office is located at 4360 Orange St., Riverside California, 92501 and can be reached at (951) 276-3060. Always try to apply for these benefits prior to attending school. Benefits are awarded on an academic-year basis and students are required to reapply each year for ongoing benefits.

  • Do I qualify for Dependents’ Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)?

    You may qualify for VA educational benefits under Chapter 35 if your parent or spouse died or is permanently and totally disabled as a result of his or her military service. Call the VA's toll-free number 1 (888) 442-4551 to determine if you are eligible for assistance. Be sure to have your parent's or spouse's VA file number available when you call.

  • Return of Tuition Assistance Upon Withdrawal

    Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded. When a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of TA funds originally awarded.

    To comply with the new Department of Defense policy, UC Riverside will return any unearned TA funds on a prorated basis through at least the 60% portion of the period for which the funds were provided. TA funds are earned proportionally during an enrollment period, with unearned funds returned based upon when a student stops attending. These funds are returned to the military Service branch.

    In instances when a Service member stops attending due to a military service obligation, UCR will work with the affected Service member to identify solutions that will not result in student debt for the returned portion.

    • Before or during week 1: 100% return 
    • During weeks 2-3: 75% return
    • During weeks 4-5: 50% return
    • During week 6: 40% return (60% of course is completed)
    • During weeks 7-10: 0% return
UCR Yellow Ribbon Campus

UCR Is a Yellow Ribbon Campus!

The university and the VA split the non-resident tuition costs for Post-9/11 GI Bill® recipients with 100% eligibility. That means at UCR, out-of-state veterans pay the same, lower tuition rate as California residents!
Please note: GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.
UCR Yellow Ribbon Campus

Explore additional enrollment and student resources.